Thursday, September 11, 2008

And So It Starts

Well we are going to the doctor’s office today to have test done to determine that it is dementia and not something else. We wound up getting 3 different opinions all of which ended with the same results.

The hardest thing for me was to observe what my poor mother had to endure trying to remember the simplest things that she should already know. The doctor had asked her a question and I tried to jog her memory to help her but the doctor said she had to do it on her own. She gave me the saddest look and I told her sorry I can’t help but you can do it; this way she would not feel so bad. Me, I was dying inside, it was so heart wrenching to watch her struggle and look so helpless. The end results were even more devastating the prognosis was dementia.

The doctors told me to have my mother to get affairs in order and make future living arrangements for her safety. For me it was no problem she was going to live with me. Now her feeling on the matter was a completely different story. I took all of the information I gathered, got the POA (power of attorney), had mommy sign all necessary documents while I structured a plan.

Tomorrow is going to be a very difficult and a very emotional one; I have to tell her that she is going to leave her home of over 50 years and move in with me.

No comments: